Thursday, August 12, 2010

Green Thumb Not Required

Please note: This is not a scientific article – in fact, it falls in that category of  “I think it therefore it’s true."

Shortly after my mom died, my dad took a look at her Christmas Cactus, which had graced our home for as long as I could remember, and said, "I suppose we should throw this away - I don't know what to do with it." Well. . . this seemed like a sad idea, and the plant was in great health and had what seemed to be a perfect plant home on a nice windowsill with just the right amount of light. I suggested that maybe between the two of us we could give it some water on occasion and see how it would do. My father wasn't so optimistic about his ability to be left alone with a plant and have it not die. As he put it, "your mother always kept these alive, I've never done anything with a plant."

Well. . . that plant made a go of it for years. I eventually gave it to one of our neighbors when my dad moved out of his own apartment. It made a go of it without being regularly watered. It didn’t get a lot of attention, I could go on and on about the things that plant didn't get. What did it have? Great genetics. It was a hearty plant, and came into our lives after years of living with someone who had “a green thumb. “ While my dad wasn’t a “plant guy” or any sort of gardener, he managed to enjoy that plant, and see it bloom, for a number of years.
 
This morning I asked a co-worker if I could take a cut from his spider plant in order to start a new one. The plant is impressive. It's green, spilling over his desk, and seems to have great pep. He was more than happy to let me have a clipping and informed me that he got it from another woman in our department who is known for having an amazing garden and happy plants. As he said, "It's the best type of plant, I water it once a week and then leave it alone." He credited the original owner with the success of the plant.

Finally, a friend of mine came over when I moved into a new home. She brought three beautiful plants that she got from her sister who is a master gardener for a state known for it's beautiful plants and produce. Those three plants are thriving. They get very little attention, are regularly munched on by a cat, yet they bloom, and shine and keep growing.

I am convinced that a green thumb is not required. . . just good plant genetics and a bit of appreciation.

If you have a similar story feel free to share.  Perhaps the "real" green thumbs out there will rise up against my theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment