Friday, July 16, 2010

This Daily Inspiration Comes to You from Yoda ~ And My Brother


. . . do or do not, there is no try
Yoda

I put that quote on my tagline today.  A while after doing that, I realized it’s not too different from the one I’ve had on my work tagline for some time, “sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul,” Edward Abbey.

Living these quotes is sometimes a challenge, but I’m proud to have seen a great example of someone putting them into action today.

This morning .  .  . very, very, early this morning, my brother stood in a field with some spray paint.  He didn’t say he would “try” to get up. He just got up  . . . at 4 a.m.

He was there to make sure the labyrinth he was making would have perfect solar alignment.   The people who walk through it, or attend a workshop about its’ purpose and how it was made, will be able to appreciate the fact that it faces perfect East. 

When he first told me of this plan, I had a moment where I thought, why not sleep in and have it facing a more ‘general’ East direction?  Then I reconsidered.  What if the Native Americans had decided to sleep in when they needed to draw a line through a petroglyph marking a new year? Or the ancient mariners had been given inaccurate coordinates or charts when someone failed to record a sunrise or sunset?

While I rely on my digital clock, gps unit, and phone that changes time zones whenever I drive across an invisible line, there is still something comforting about good, old-fashioned, orienteering.

There are so many things that I’m thankful people just do.  There is no try.
The beautiful end result

No comments:

Post a Comment