Friday, September 5, 2008

Non Profit of the Week - Chicago Books to Women Prisoners




harlequin romance, women prisoners, and me


I have a trunk filled with 2 large garbage bags of new Harlequin romance novels. Yup. And this Sunday I'm going to walk into the Chicago Books for Women Prisoners office, smile at the wonderful feminist volunteers and say, "Wow, it's so hard to part with this collection! These books have provided so many nights of bliss and entertainment!"

Ok. For those of you who know me, you are hopefully chuckling and not calling 911 with my address. Don't get me wrong, I'm not above reading a good romance novel. It's just more likely to be published by some other fine press.

I was given this lovely collection by a friend's 19-year-old daughter. She was encouraged (ok, outright ordered) by her mom to "weed" her collection, and who would be a better recipient than a librarian. There's a great organization in Chicagoland that provides books for women in prison. I've never been in prison, but I can only imagine that if there, I'd want every type of book I could get my hands on. Legal, spiritual, self-help, how to function out of prison, and last but not least, downright escapist entertainment.

If you have any paperbacks you can part with, take a look at the link below. If you can't drive to Chicago, you can certainly mail books inexpensively via media mail, or find groups in your area that donate to prisoners.

http://chicagobwp.org/about-us/

No comments:

Post a Comment