Friday, October 10, 2008

Poet Laureate 2008 ~ Kay Ryan

I'm not a big fan of poetry. Actually I don't read poetry, write poetry, or enjoy listening to poetry. So. . . how did our 16th Poet Laureate, Kay Ryan catch my eye? Take a look at her photo below.

It's encouraging to read that our newest poet laureate is an out, gay woman. And, she credits her partner of 30 years for convincing her to take the job. Can you really say "no" to an honor of this sort? Note to self: If I get a call from someone at the Library of Congress, I may want to say "yes."

So . . . for those of you who are "into" poetry, read the article below, check out some of her books, and keep your eyes (and ears) open for a chance to here our national poet laureate at an event near you.


Photo credit: Peter DaSilva for The New York Times

Kay Ryan, 62, will become the country’s 16th poet laureate.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/17/books/17poet.html

No comments:

Post a Comment